Church to host ‘evolutionary evangelists’
CONTRIBUTED TO THE PRESS
Holston Valley Unitarian Universalist Church, 136 Bob Jobe Road, Gray, and First Presbyterian Church, 119 W. F St., Elizabethton, are combining efforts to bring “evolutionary evangelists” the Rev. Michael Dowd and his wife, Connie Barlow, to the Tri-Cities Sept. 7-9. Dowd is the author of “Thank God For Evolution!” He explores the relationship between science and religion, showing that one can accept evolution in a way that strengthens rather than undermines religious faith and values. Dowd and Barlow present evolution as theology, not theory, and science as divine revelation. The schedule of their local events includes: Sept. 7
• Dowd will lead the 11 a.m. worship service at First Presbyterian and the 9:45 Adult Forum.
• Barlow will lead the 10:30 a.m. worship service at Holston Valley.
• Barlow will lead a multi-generational workshop on the relationship between science and religion from 3-5 p.m. at Holston Valley with a potluck. This workshop will be geared to both children and adults. Sept. 8
• Dowd will lead a workshop at First Presbyterian at 7 p.m. Sept. 9
• Dowd will lead a workshop at Holston Valley at 7 p.m. Each workshop is different and the events are free and open to the public. Pre-registration is not required and child care will be provided. Donations will be accepted for their work. For information, call 477-7661 or e-mail email@example.com; or call 543-7737 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Information also can be found at the following Web sites: www.hvuuc.org; www.1stpreseliz.org; or www.thankgodforevolution.com.